Gordon's Bay is a picturesque village on the far eastern edge of the Cape Town Metropolitan area. It is nestled around a tiny bay, with the Hottentots Holland mountain range on the one side, and False Bay on the other.
The town is easily accessible from Cape Town International Airport with an easy 30 minute drive on the N2 highway. It is close to the wine routes of the Helderberg and Stellenbosch and is the gateway to the Overberg region.
Out of season Gordon's Bay is quiet and laid back, ideal for someone who needs to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. On the other hand the town is vibrant and pulsating in season, when the beach front is turned into an adventure playground.
In winter, during the Winter Wonderland Festival, the town is transformed into something out of a fairy tale when residences, streets and businesses are adorned with a myriad of bright string lights.
For Nature Lovers
- Helderberg Nature Reserve and hiking trails.
- Kogelberg Biosphere reserve, with scenic nature walks.
- The beautiful Kogel Bay beach and surfing area.
- Harold Porter Botanical Gardens in Betty's Bay
- Monkey Town animal park.
- View the penguin colony at Betty’s Bay.
- Whale Spotting (August – November).
- Lwandle Migrant Labour Museum: Township museum, arts and crafts.
ADVENTURE AND SPORTS
- Gordon’s Bay Horse Trails.
- Numerous Golf courses including the famous Erinvale Golf course.
- Mola Adventures (Fly fishing, challenge courses, climbing wall, 4x4 training course, hiking & downhill mountain biking.
- Yacht Club and Diving School.
- Virgin Active Gym.
- Boat trips and deep sea fishing charters can be booked at one of the two harbours
- Great White Shark cage diving at Gansbaai, another seaside village just over an hour’s drive away.
- Blue Rock skiing and watersports resort.
- The famous and popular annual Cape Argus cycle race takes place a 40 minute drive away from Gordon's Bay
- The annual local Leapfrog Properties 21km road race.
Leisure and Drives
- Somerset Mall for shopping.
- Caledon Casino.
- A wonderful second-hand bookshop on the beach front, which is stocked with thousands of books and stays open till late.
- Sir Lowry’s Pass with its scenic drive - take in breathtaking views of the Hottentots Holland mountains, the Helderberg and False Bay. Passing the Steenbras River dam along the way, make your way to Grabouw, the heart of South Africa's apple orchards. Along the way, you can stop at "The Orchard" which serves fantastic omelettes and delicious tea and scones or at Peregrines, a fantastic farm stall selling delicious breads, jams, cakes etc. They also have a restaurant specialising in home-cooked meals.
- A trip to Hermanus along some of the most beautiful coastal roads in the world. You will pass some quaint seaside villages - Rooi-Els, Pringle Bay, Betty’s Bay and Kleinmond.